Tuesday, March 20, 2012

First Day of Spring

On the first official day of Spring, as I worked this afternoon in the back yard (78°), indications that this past winter was one of the mildest of all time:

1. Sage is probably the heartiest of our perennial herbs. I’m able to use it regularly, fresh, in the Thanksgiving cornbread-sausage stuffing. But it’s usually died off by mid-December under the snow and freezes. This year it survived the whole winter and the shrub is still surviving, if not full, vibrant. I might have to make a Saltimbocca for dinner this week.

2. At the beginning of December we got our first snow, about one inch. It didn’t require the use of our snow blower but I thought it best to get some gas and try to start it in preparation for the snow I thought must be to come. But it wouldn’t start and so I took it in for a tune-up which turned into a two-month hassle of resolving a recall of the injection system. Fortunately, I didn’t need the blower for those two months, or the month since. This afternoon I started it (successfully) for the first time in order to run out the gas tank. It took two hours for the still-full tank to run dry.

3. We had four gold fish in our above-ground pond last year. In November I tried to get them into an indoor tank to winter-over but was only able to net two. I assumed the other two had either been dinner for a raccoon or cat (as has happened in the past) or I would find their floating carcasses when the ice went out this spring (as has happened in the past). The small pond typically freezes through over winter. But as I was emptying and cleaning out the pond this afternoon I saw both of them desperately swimming in the slowly diminishing water. I netted and reunited them with their buddies from last year in the indoor tank. How they survived under the ice without oxygen or food I don’t know. A few weeks from now they’ll all four go back into the pond. Late next fall, when I try again to bring them indoors, they’ll have forgotten altogether their being brought in or not brought in this winter. But they’re gold fish, so they’ve probably already forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment