Sunday, May 29, 2011

Me and Janis

October 24, 1969. I was 20 years old, working as the manager of the Hour Glass, a hippy-student bar in Wichita, Kansas, and for a few months the sometime music writer for the underground Wichita Free Press, a mimeographed publication of several pages. Janis Joplin was performing that night at Henry Levitt Arena, with the James Cotton Blues Band opening. I couldn’t afford a ticket to the concert (a then-steep $4), and the Free Press was not afforded press passes, but someone at the paper heard that the bands were staying at the Holiday Inn on north Broadway. So about noon I drove down to the hotel just to see what I could find. And what I found were members of the Cotton band having lunch in the hotel’s restaurant. Somehow I intruded on them, they invited me first to join them at lunch and then to come up to one of their rooms to smoke some pot. At one point James Cotton joined us, and a couple of Joplin’s band members. Time and dope fog my memory of that afternoon, there were guitars and harmonicas played, but at some point I was asked if I was going to the concert, I said that I didn’t have a ticket, and the Cotton band invited me to come along with them. So in the backseat of a station wagon, with half of the James Cotton Blues Band, I rode into the backstage area of Henry Levitt Arena. (Joplin and her band would be coming along later.)

In the Cotton dressing room (a locker room), there were practice amps and guitars, and at one point I actually jammed a bit with a couple of the guys in the group. When the show started, I stayed at the mouth of the tunnel to the floor where the stage had been set up, listening to the music. After a couple of songs, behind me the doors to the backstage area opened and Joplin’s cars drove in. There were no other press (if I could be called press) allowed backstage, but I was already there and a couple of Joplin’s band members who had been in the Cotton hotel room that afternoon recognized me and that provided me my introduction to Joplin herself.

She was shorter, smaller than I had expected. Most all of the photos and film of her are taken from below stage, which makes her seem taller, and the clothes she mostly wears are loose fabrics, which hide her slightness. She was unexpectedly pleasant to me, inviting me into the band’s dressing room (another locker room). There was a rack of costumes for her and the band and a pint of tequila (not Southern Comfort, which she was noted for) on the floor. We sat on locker room benches and talked about what I have no idea. It was just passing the time and felt perfectly out of the ordinary. Not for a moment did I stop and think, “Shit, I’m sitting here talking with Janis Joplin in her dressing room!” It’s hard to imagine now, but back then the rock world really wasn’t that distant from the fans. After a while, she jumped up, saying she really liked the song the Cotton band was playing, and we together went out of the mouth of the tunnel and listened. A photographer for the Wichita Eagle (who wasn’t allowed backstage) took a photo of the two of us, documenting the moment for me, though when it appeared in the paper the next morning, I’d been cut out of the shot (the photo was sent to me whole the next week by the entertainment reporter for the Eagle, who knew me). We went back to the dressing room, but after a short while, she told me she had to dress and that I’d have to leave (in her Texas way, she referred to me as “Honey”).

I only heard a few of the songs from Joplin’s set. After her show started, I joined the Cotton band back in their dressing room, the backstage being much more interesting to me. But at the end of her set, Joplin was heard coming backstage, ranting and cursing and pissed that her feather boa had apparently been taken by someone in the audience. She was not at all the “peace” and “love” persona of her music. She went back for an encore and appealed to the crowd in what I, having seen the backstage tirade, took as a hypocritical “love plea” to return the boa. I don’t know if she got it back or not. I left with the Cotton band back to the hotel before she was finished. I learned the next day that she had gone to the exclusive Wichita Club (one could only get hard liquor in private clubs in Kansas then) and bought rounds all night for the oil and beef bank businessmen, mounting a bill of more than $1000. I don’t know how much of that is true – I do know that she did go to the Wichita Club, though, which in itself is counter to her counter-culture image. And that is what remains for me of what should be one of my great brushes with fame – not the aura of greatness, but the whiff of a diva, shorter and smaller than I had expected.

6 comments:

  1. I was at that concert. I just posted this on FB in response to a friend's request for first concert experiences.
    Janis Joplin, '69, Henry Levitt Arena in Wichita. The James Cotton Blues Band opened and they were an amazing act by themselves. then she appeared and delivered a mesmerizing and powerful performance on the last leg of a tour that is generally recognized as her talent at the peak of it's stupendous strength. It was astounding. I’d never experienced anything like that. It cost four dollars.
    "Janis Joplin's talent was that you believed she was singing her guts out every night. In that sense she was like [Edith] Piaf. You were watching a candle burn, with no wax to replace what had already been burned up. Bill Graham.

    Really, it was just four bucks?

    I was an hour glass guy for a bit. Were you there when John Gillock shot Cooki Beostead in the butt?

    Dan R. Rouser danrouser@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first comment ever on a blog and in fact the first Blog I have encountered. Thanks J.L. McClure for your post. It is the anniversary of her death and I wondered if there was anything in Cyberspace about the show I saw in Wichita and found your post.

      You helped me remember the night by your Post. Although your day was way better than mine starting out on North Broadway and ending up at the Field House backstage with Janus. I also remember the picture of her from the Eagle the next day and now have the complete picture.

      I remember she got her Boa stolen and I was at the Bar where she bought everyone drinks. I didn't remember the name being the Wichita Club or that it was exclusive but do remember I got to dance with her. I was only 18 but had older friends that worked there, so I could get into "Clubs" as they were know then and deal with the Membership and punch cards for drinks as my girlfriend at the time was a older Go Go Dancer but not at that Bar.

      Thanks also for refreshing my memory of the Hour Glass. I lived a few doors away. And the Wichita Free Press. We had a similar magazine called Less is More a couple of years later. I've lived in California since I was 26 but have many fond memories growing up in Wichita and North High and WSU.

      The High Point was that concert and now I can show your Blog to young people when I try to explain what music meant in the 60's and 70's.

      Since I moved here, I've always gone to Barney's Beanery in Hollywood to have a orange vodka on or about this date. Legend has it that it was her last outing before going back to the Hotel, down
      the street before her death on this date so long ago.

      Thanks Again.
      J.R. Hilton J90803@aol.com

      Delete
  2. How I remember that night.-- Friday October 24, 1969

    Kansas cools down by the end of October-- even after a hot summer and the summer of 1969 was one of those. The round building (the 'round house' )
    at the edge of the WSU campus had just been renamed the Henry Levitt Arena. It is 286 feet around and 76 feet high housing a basketball court and 10,000 seats. I have no idea how many seats were filled the night that Janis Joplin took the stage. There may have been seating on the the basketball court in front of the stage, but the place was filled with fans.

    She was playing with her band Kozmic Blues and she was one of the hottest
    performers anywhere. Everyone wanted a piece of Janis. In July of 1969 she was live on the Dick Cavitt Show. From June through the end of the year she appeared at nearly every music festival that there was including, Atlanta, Newport, New Orleans, the Hollywood Bowl, and Woodstock. Yeah, everyone wanted a piece of Janis... and even Wichita got its share.

    What I remember about the concert that night in Wichita, was arriving part way through the opening band and working my way to the edge of the stage getting higher and higher with each step. When she took the stage it was pure driving energy as she belted out, and I mean belted out, her songs. The sound that became her signature filled that enormous round building and for just a moment, Wichita was a part of the energy that was transforming our entire society.

    Sadly the concert was interrupted when Janis realized that her feathered boa had been stolen from her while she was performing. She stopped the show and literally begged the crowd for its return.

    That simple feathered boa became the most important thing ... it stopped time. At that moment she became the lonely little girl that was also Janis Joplin. I remember seeing the toll that the road had taken on her. When she performed you felt her pain and her joy. That night she gave a glimpse of the loneliness that follows anyone traveling under its spotlight just to provide entertainment for $4 a ticket.

    Wichita has always been a stop for the bands... a few hours by bus from Kansas City, and on the route to Oklahoma City, to Dallas and beyond. Small three hour bites. Wichita has never been the destination... only a stop along the road. Those that stay get caught in its vortex.

    How do I remember the night Janis Joplin came to town? To be honest, it was like watching for the joker as a deck of cards is shuffled. If you remember that night clearly, you probably weren't really there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was was there at age 13. My friend Lisa from church and I went because it was the hippest thing in town, but I actually was at the time a fan of BIg Brother with Janis. My mom dropped us off at Henry Levitt. We loitered after the show during the equipment tear down and Stewy Flowers (sax) asked us to ride along to Denver with him (them). I was both mortified and delighted, but didn't take him up on his offer. I remember the stage she performed on was unusually close to the arena floor. She lost her velvet cape, not a boa scarf. It was black and she did make an appeal to the audience to return it. I know this because she threw it into the audience. My friend and I were standing very near to the stage, it fell on my friend's head where it was quickly passed into the crowd.
    I remember thinking how I disliked the sound of the Kosmic Blues compared to Big Brother, but Janis was great. She looked slightly rough.
    That concert was my first rock concert.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last Anonymous is Jerry Shipman

    ReplyDelete
  5. do not care how old you were or where you worked it was music man...

    ReplyDelete